Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
We have recently reorganized the forums to better accommodate the location of information. If you find any discussions categorized incorrectly please let us know and we will get it sorted out.

How are you involved with Outbreak: Undead!? Introduce yourself!

edited July 2009 in Off-Topic Posts: 680
Everyone here at some point has had interaction with Outbreak: Undead. Lets use this Topic to introduce ourselves and discuss how we came across this amazing project that the guys at Hunters Books are bringing to us!
Developer/Marketing Manager.
Player Kills = 23
Zombie Kills = 154

Comments

• edited July 2009 Posts: 970
    I'm Chris. I am the writer, lead developer and graphic designer of Outbreak: Undead as well as the general manager of Hunters.

Outbreak: Undead started over 3 years ago when I wrote a 25 page guide on how to run a pen and paper zombie game strictly for my own amusment (such are my meager joys in life) and Rob (who will probably be posting later) took a shining to it and started spreading the game around. Before I knew it I was writing more and more for it... which pretty much leads us to now.

Zombies have become more a part of my life than I ever care to admit, both because of and despite this game. I guess it's a sign of the times.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 1
    My name is Benjamin Wallen.

I'm a friend of a few of the gentlemen starting this site. I will help in anyway that I can. Mainly helping with my degree in audio editing. So far I have given them an audio file for the site.

Anyone needs any audio work or another friend for xbox live please let me know! :)

Benjamin
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 680
    Dood, Ben... You rock.

Creepy Scary noises for the website is ultimately going to be awesome. We have so many cool plans for the site when its up.
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

• edited November 1999 Posts: 970
    MOST of those plans are in fact, sinister ones.
    They involve Orphans, and Flesh Golems, and maybe a bag of toys.
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

My name is Elizabeth, and I am also a friend of the gentlemen starting this site.

Besides the daily grind of life, I am amateur photographer on the side. Chris has chosen to use some of my work in Outbreak:Undead and I will most likely be posting some of that work in the coming months.

Let’s get this forum going! : )

Elizabeth
    What's up, y'alls... this is Greg - I'm helping to proofread the manual and I'm hoping to jump into some Beta Test games with you guys as well. I'm a teacher, artist, writer, and fire performer. Looking forward to meeting all of you.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 116
    Sorry, late to the party. Robert - Producer/Editor/Zombie Expert. Hey all!
    Unverified Honorary PhD in Zombology
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 116
    Sorry, late to the party. Robert - Producer/Editor/Zombie Expert. Hey all!
    Unverified Honorary PhD in Zombology
  • edited July 2010 Posts: 680
    Welcome Sterling!

Great video man! Just make sure you have a strong grip, physics can take into effect and you may find yourself on the floor with your sword stuck in a zombies side. :)
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

Damn right!
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

This is Dewie and I played an early version of the game a while back and am looking forward to playing it again. As for zombie huntin', in my opinion, nothing beats a good solid wrench; you live in our hearts Lil' Sparky.
    I think this forum just suddenly got way too many Dewie... we may need to back off on the Dewie a bit.

The game has come along way since you we're dropping paint cans on zombies heads at the Home Depot buddy :)
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

HAH!
    I remember Lil' Sparky... I do not remember the paint cans though.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 3
    Hey
    I picked up a copy at Gencon and its one of the few rpg rulebooks i've been tempted to read the entire thing straight through.
    Good job
  • edited August 2010 Posts: 970
    Awesome, Amsroeb. Glad you think so highly of it.

And Pew, did your copy include a quick start guide? We made those specifically to level out the learning curve of the game... especially for GM's. If you have any questions, be sure to post in the "Q&A" section.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 24
    I'm Mark. Watched a good portion of a demo of the game at GenCon (they ran out of seats), picked up the book the next day. The game appealed to me for a number of reasons. A biggie was the fact that I've been into post-apocalyptic fiction lately, especially the zombocalypse. Another biggie is that there's a good chance my wife would be willing to play this game (she's not really into tabletop gaming). Mainly, however, the demo impressed me with how easy the game was to understand. I'm a big fan of the d20 system because of all the wonderful material out there, but there are a lot of intricate rules and dice rolls. The simplicity of a game based almost entirely on rolling d100 and trying to be as low as possible, for everything? Wonderful. I'm sure some people will argue that it's not "realistic," but that's not really the point. The point is to have fun playing a character (especially yourself) in the zombocalypse. The system is great for that. Also, the book really looks good -- very professional.

As for a little about me, I've recently finished an 8 year stint in the Air Force. I'm now going back to college to get a degree in Computer Programming. So long as I'm in the right place during a zombie apocalypse (like that's going to happen), I'm fairly certain I'd survive and, possibly, even thrive. Oh, and I'm big on the Zombieland Survival Rules.
    Hi DamionFury!
    I'm glad you're a fan of the system. I am a huge fan of d20 myself... I have two shelves of d20 game books, so yeah, I love having that large a palette to chose from to design scenarios. We're hoping to have a lot of tools for GM's and players to design whatever kind of scenario they want for Outbreak: Undead as well. As for the d100 system, I actually heard that for games using the d100, the main gripe is that characters spend a lot of time failing their actions. Generally, this seems bad but it made sense to us in a zombie apocalypse scenario that basically everything would be much much harder than we imagine it being. It was good to see players picking up on that immediately understanding that engaging zombies at close quarters are bad, so during the demos there were a LOT less casualties than I thought there would be.

Also, coming from so much military experience I'm sure your contributions to this forum will be very well received, so we're happy to have ya!
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 11
    I attended a Zombie Q&A seminar at Gen Con and decided to buy Outbreak... Then zombie walk happened and I won a copy of the book. I attended a demo of the game (My girlfriend and I played as a schizophrenic inmate ^^)

I'm in the newbie GM phase... Currently I'm playing both zombies and characters so I can learn by doing rather than just studying. A lot of the game seems fairly intuitive and I'm finding that when something seems strange it's because I've misunderstood the directions. I hope to begin a campaign within the next two weeks, either with the cruise ship or an island escape scenario.

So far my favorite aspects of the game are the gestalt dice and the sandbox elements, and the absolute uncertainty of a zombie encounter. I really like the realism that these incorporate into a fantasy game. Also, part of me likes the fact that it's totally unforgiving of mistakes.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 7
    I'm Jimi, I bought this system at Gen-Con and I have to say so far I love it. I really like how the type of zombies affect everything from how easy they are to kill, to how killing them affects the group ie: the familiar face zombies. The depth of this system is what appeals to me and to my entire gaming group. Bravo!!
    Greetings, my name's John and my brother and I purchased the book and a shirt at GenCon. Liking the book so far, though the handwriting can be a bit hard to read at times. Was great to get to chat with you guys and I'm sure this system will be used at some point by my group in the near future!
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 2
    I found out about Outbreak: Undead the last day of Gen Con. Some friends convinced me that I should run it so two of us picked up copies. Looks good so far, looking forward to running it, but I really like the idea of playing as myself as well. As far as the system itself goes, I'm glad it isn't another d20 game, standardization can be good, but it can also be boring.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 6
    I'm Todd, and I'm a fan of Z-day fiction and speculation. I picked up my first RPG, Traveller, back in 1980 at the tender age of 13 and haven't stopped yet. Valve's Left 4 Dead video games really inspired me to run a zombie apocalypse table top game. I'm picky when it comes to RPGs, so there has to be something special about the game for me to commit to purchasing it - and Outbreak:Undead definitely seems special. I've only had a chance to look at the website and download the Quickstart, but that has been enough for me. Now I wait (impatiently as I write this) for my copy to arrive.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 10
    I found Oubreak at GenCon. Really looking forward to running a game as are many of the folks I play with. Several of us, including myself are into the survival ideas and I have such an odd skill set that I think they will lend themself well to these senarios and missions.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 10
    I also went to the Zombie Q&A session, and played the demo game with my boyfriend (Dont.Panic). I'm really excited for us to get this game going! I love the dynamics and the fact that rules applying to scenarios, etc. are pretty open-ended. This makes it a game where just about anything can happen!
    Welcome everybody. It's really nice that so many Gen Con people are joining us.

Dont.Panic/ItchyWitch, you guys are on our facebook right? If not, i'd highly recommend you go and look through the gencon photos as there is a great one of you two going after ChrisDLR. :)

Fellhammer and Vargr, your already contributing so much to the forums, thanks.
    Azrael,Shoot1st, Jordoran, it was great meeting you guys at the con, happy posting!
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

• edited November 1999 Posts: 3
    I'm Henry,
    I'm an overall zombie fiction enthusiast. I tend to work alot in amateur fiction and I'm excited to start GM-ing games. I ordered my copy of the game as soon as I could and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. In the mean time I'm going over my existing stories and seeing as to how I can adopt them to the game as well as get aquainted with the sample pdf of the rule book that went up on the site.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 2
    I'm Jim. Every year at Gen Con, I look for one new RPG to purchase. This was the game for me, hands down. I've been running a d20 Modern Dawn of the Dead game at a few conventions over the past year and I'm really looking to convert it over to Outbreak. While I'm also a fan of the d20 games, I really enjoy the quick thinking, cinematic type of game. From what I've read so far, Outbreak fits that bill. I'm getting ready to run a game at the FLGS for next months Gameday and already have several people looking forward to it. Thanks for creating the game.
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 17
    I'm Phoenix Drake, I'm not exactly sure how I came across this but I think I was just in the mood for a Zombie Pen and Paper RPG and stumbled upon this gem just before it was released. Still trying to get the money together to get it and living in another country with shipping and all that is a royal pain in the... But anyway looking foreward to getting into this community and getting together a zombie plan, which I dont have as of yet simply because as is stated by Outbreak: Undead, it will fail, I think mainly because of all the possibilities and variables of how it can come about etc etc.

Cheers,
    Nix
  • edited November 1999 Posts: 415
    Greetings all,
    I got the opportunity to play Outbreak:Undead during the preview at Gam3er con, during ComicCon here in San Diego. (I was deadly with a multi-tool baby!) I pre-ordered the game and received it a couple weeks ago. I have been a gamer from waaayyy back, and having played many different systems I can really appreciate the simplicity of Outbreak's. The thing is, while simple, the system offers great flexibility and a wide range of options for character creation. The gestalt dice are a great addition to the game, and a wonderful way to allow players to "flesh out" (pardon the pun) their own avatar - something most games don't do very well at all.

I am going to give it a go, running the game in open gaming at OrcCon in Los Angeles over Labor Day. I did not get the game in time to officially sign up to run a game, but I'll set up in the main room and see if I can start a pick-up game. This game is very new and I am sure 99% of the participants at OrCon will not have heard of it. I am eagerly looking forward to the Gen Con scenario pack and future expansions etc.

Keep up the good work guys!

Brett
    Zombie Kills = 19
    Player Kills = 14

imageimageimage