Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
We have recently reorganized the forums to better accommodate the location of information. If you find any discussions categorized incorrectly please let us know and we will get it sorted out.

How are you involved with Outbreak: Undead!? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• Hello world!

Name's Antonio. Yes, from Italy.
    I've started playng pen and paper RPGs last year, when a friend of mine introduced me to D&D. I completely fell in love for that and I was even more amazed when I stumbled upon O:U. It looks like a solid game, very customizable. I absolutely love things like the possibility for the players to use pretty much everything as a weapon/armor. I'm still reading the book now, and I'm feeling very inspired. Since my only experience has been playing and DMing fantasy RPGs, it's something really new and stimulating for my gaming group.

Still, something felt a bit strange when I stumbled upon a few points in the book... well, it can happen, this game has been around for a relatively short time.

Good Luck Survivors!
    Welcolm Antonio from Italy!

Glad you are enjoying the book, we've been really happy and surprised to see such a international interest in the book. Let us know if you need any help with your first campaign, or if you have any specific questions :)

The best quick advice I can give is to try to 'not use the whole book' in your first game. Just do an encounter, or run a single mission. Don't build a whole world yet until you have a full grasp of what tools you have at your disposal!
    Developer/Marketing Manager.
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

• My name is Matthew. I just bought a copy of this core rule book at half priced in highland park MN. I have very little table top experience but a great hunger to learn. I am 30 and have 2 young children so my disposable free time is dwindling but I love all things survival horror and am very interested in getting a healthy grip on ZMing a campaign for a select few buddies. Anyone in or around the Twin Cities with an active game and room for uno mas, please consider me highly motivated to learn.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 2

Hi there,

My name is Guy and I am from the UK. 

I have just purchased the 3rd printing of the core rulebook, along with Wild Kingdom, and I have to say how impressed I am with the quality. The pdf's do not do it justice - however, I was a little surprised that the core rulebook is in black and white, rather than full colour as the pdf I had seen. 

The local gaming group I am with are all experienced role-players - we have played most games: DnD (Advanced and 3.5), Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu, Vampire: Masquerade/Requiem, to name but a few, and I had been looking for a Zombie Survival RPG for sometime. 

I thought about AFMBE, d20 Modern even the New World of Darkness setting (I like the whole morality/humanity system…) until I stumbled upon Outbreak:Undead on DrivethruRPG, and after reading a few reviews and the GenCon Primer Packs, I was sold!

Having played House on the Hill a couple of times, I am looking forward to unleashing a full campaign on my players. 

All in all, I love the style of production and the game system is detailed, yet flexible enough, to deal with nearly all situations that may come up during a game.

Thanks again for an awesome game!

Hey Guy and Matthew!

-Guy
    Thank you for all the kind words! We were sad that we couldn't get the book in full color either. But I assure you we will be doing more color books in the future!

We really are happy you are enjoying it, please let us know how your campaign goes!

Matt,
    Good luck with your disposable free time, trust me. I have more games on my shelves then time to play them all. But a man can still dream. Make sure you thread about your Twin Peaks game so that other survivors can get in on your Outbreak: Scenario!
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

• hi im dash im brand spanking new to the game and rpg in general but i was hoping i could start to play this so wish me luck because now im just browsing
    Hi there,

I'm an old rpg gm/player and horror fan from Sweden who stumbled over Outbreak: Undead a month ago and was blown away. I'm running a "The One Ring" campaign with my group right now, but I'm hoping to play-test OU as soon as possible. The respons from the rest of the group is positive, so it's on as soon as we can get going :D

It is truly a tight and well written rpg, keeping true to the theme both when it comes to mood as well as the system in and of itself.

Thanks for an awesome game!

/Magus76
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Suppose I should introduce myself quick. I'm Alex, living in Columbus, Ohio currently but born and raised in Southwest Wisconsin. Been gaming for 25 years of my 30 years of life and just picked up O:U via purchasing all the PDF content available. Found this system by chance and was highly intrigued after reading just a small bit. Sold. Take my money.

Gonna be running a scenario with some friend who are interested in the simulation aspect of the game, and we had a failed character generation last night (but I know where I went wrong already). Redoing character generation this Sunday and then digging into our first scenario that I get the privilege of running and am looking forward to it. Going with Biologically Alive zombies from a mutated form of a virus (essentially the most probable zombie and most frightening in my book). Got a group of 4 folks who will be playing, so should also be a decent little group.

Already loving the info on the forums and look forward to getting in with this community.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager & Developer
    Sounds Freaking Awesome Red_Eye!

Let us know how the session goes, and feel free to throw any questions you haven't seen answered yet our way :)
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

Hello

Names David

Came across the site looking for a Zombie RPG.

Currently trying to write my own Zombie Apocalytic novel with a follow on Graphic novel to go along with it.

I create 3d graphic images as a hobby, working on characters and zombies for the GN

• edited October 2014 Posts: 11
    Howdy Folks,

I'm Robert, though most people I know call me either Big Rob or simply Wulf (from a forum name I used to use a lot when gaming). I've been into gaming for way too long and have always enjoyed survival horror and zombie movies in generally. Probably from about the age of seven when my dad and oldest sister had to sneak out of the house just to go see Dawn of the Dead in the theaters back in '78 without me. They came back and told me about the film and the way the employees all dressed up like zombies and what not and I was hooked and wanted to see the film with them! 

Despite my mother's protests my dad (and other sister) took me. I was terrified but immediately knew I wanted more zombie movies to watch!

I stumbled upon this game when searching for something "non-d20" to try and use for a gaming concept that I had in mind and knew right then and there that this system was the one for me. I have always admired percentile gaming (despite the masses' protests on such matters) due to me running numerous MERPs games back in the day and enjoyed reading the way things were set up here rule-wise. I pray 2nd Edition only improves on such items even further as I'm already hooked on this version ;)

A pleasure to make all of your acquaintances and I must bid you a brief but fond adieu for now. I hear the nearby coffee pot calling my name and sadly the infernal thing won't brew itself without a minimal of human assistance :)
    "Solomon Grundy Crush All Super Friends!"
    Howdy,

The name's Rob, though most people call me either Big Rob (real name being Robert and all) or the also infrequent name Wulf (slang for my typical forum handle on other gaming forums). 

I've always loved zombie themes, be they movies, artwork, comics, gaming material etc. If pressed to recollect, I'd have to say the admiration was there ever since my dad and oldest sister had to sneak out of the house to go see Dawn of the Dead in the movie theaters w/o me back in '78. I was only 6 1/2 at the time ;)

I came across this rather astonishing system when looking for something other than d20'ish to try and utilize for an idea I had involving zombies, a personal tribute to Romero, and several comic series that I really dug. We (the group and I) tried it out on our forum boards and it was an instant success. We're a lot more roleplay than roll-play but knowing the logistics of the various mission parameters in advance was a huge time saver on my end and the group seemed to enjoy knowing in advance what all they had to do in order to succeed and progress forward with the story's/campaign's arc. I also dig % systems if truth be told, despite the gamer masses' own personal takes on such things.

<- old MERP player/GM here.

I've recently been trying to get members of the old group back up and running through our original campaign and might even be on the lookout for new blood if anyone is interested in PbP Forum gaming. No worries or pressures however, simply a random blurt.

• Let's see if this works for me this time. I tried using an older more primary account but it kept popping up a waiting for approval message and then went off into limbo for over a week :(
    Howdy All,
    The name is Robert, though most people call me either Big Rob or Wulf. I stumbled across this little gem of a game when searching for something zombie-related and non-d20 for an idea I had after running a futuristic zombie game with AFMBE. I've been using it ever since!
    I've always been a zombie fan, starting at the age of 6 1/2 when my father and oldest sister had to sneak out of the house without me just to go see the Dawn of the Dead movie playing in the theaters back in '78. I have run many games on Forum PbP sites and am currently working on restructuring an existing game entitled Black Rain where players have created themselves and are thrust into a Romero-esque Tribute of a setting to try and survive the Zombie Apocalypse.
    So far it has been much fun and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Outbreak: Undead "Second Edition"!!!
    Ugh, Eanwulf and ZombieRob71 are me, my older accounts that I had thought had become inert from inactivity or due to the forum server swap. I do so apologize for the additional posts of similar materials. Feel free to strip them clean from the forums as this new account is the one that I shall be using. Bad BigRob...simply Bad!
    "Solomon Grundy Crush All Super Friends!"
  • Simply BigRob!

We have hopefully cleared out a lot of the 'forum spam' issue we've run into. But thank you so much for coming here and hanging out with us!
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

• Guk over there
    hey i just looked for a zombie game and this came up ,.. i actually have yet to learn the game or play it ,.... id like to find a party for play over the web, say in a walking dead style campaign (playing non-cannon characters).
    say a group of survivors out of LA or Chicago, or Cleveland, or god help us NYC......

My son discovered this game after watching the Smoshgames video.  We are both very excited about it but have found it quite difficult to build characters. We actually spent about 12 hours yesterday poring over the O:DS corebook and this forum trying to find answers. I think we finally figured it out but man that was not linear at all. Hopefully, we will add more folks but until then I am planning on running him through some Dead Space like scenarios I have planned. I love the random encounters and risk.
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Welcome aboard!  Outbreak is an amazing series of games and I think you are really going to like them.  You are correct, there is quite a bit of crunch that comes along with it (but to be honest, that is part of the reason I love it so much).

It's a small community here, but it is a very helpful and friendly one.  If you have any issues, questions, etc. then just pop on in and post them up.  I'm on at least once a day usually and like to help when I can (though in an unofficial way), and Chris seems to be in every couple of days commenting on stuff (Ivan seems a little more unavailable at the moment, but I hear they are looking into more potential site upgrades and GenCon so I bet that is why).
    -Alex (Red)
    It's mostly GenCon that has kept us away from here.

It's a big year for us with a lot of moving parts, so sorry for any delay in responding.

That is A LOT of time to have spent on character creation. Definitely bring that sort of thing up to us before you spend half a day on it... make it its own thread though... not on this thread. I'll be glad to help.

We have some pretty exciting features of ODS lined up that's taken place in the last couple of days but it's still in talks, I can't talk about too much yet.

Glad you like the Encounters and Risk. We're pretty happy with it too.
    I'm Kevin Wixson and I stumbled across the Hunters Books booth at Gen Con their 2nd year there. More accurately, I bought the rulebook and then walked around the corner to discover that the authors of the book were standing right there. I got a chance to play O:U the next day and our GM was ChrisDLR himself!

Since then I've been a backer of the two Kickstarter campaigns and played O:DS with Tino at Gen Con once.
    I'm in Kalamazoo, Michigan and would love to play or GM O:U, O:DS or O:U2e. Happened to pick up O:U while browsing at Gen Con a couple of years ago, then turned the corner and ran into the booth! Had everybody sign the book. That same Gen Con I jumped in to an O:U game on generics and the GM happened to be ChrisDLR.

Since then I've backed both the Kickstarters and I'm looking forward to getting my 2e starter kit!
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Welcome aboard Kevin!  Are you looking to get a FtF, VTT, or PbP session (or some combination thereof)?
    -Alex (Red)
  • Hello all, My name is Eddie. Not sure what all to mention but a little about me,I know that there is no such thing as typical gamer but all my players swear they would never guess I am a gamer let alone that I love Zombie and or Post Apocalypse games. 
    I am technician at Intel, a firearms instructor, competitive shooter, love reading, gaming, camping, meditation and of all things Zen Buddhism.
    I discovered OBU about 6 months again and have been waiting for 2nd Ed to start playing it. So I was wondering if there any gamers in the Portland, Oregon that have room in a game or are looking to start a new one.

• Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Sadly, I am in Ohio, otherwise I would be all about it.
    -Alex (Red)
  • PaulWilliams Near Chepstow, Wales
    I may well be a lone voice in the very distant wilderness.

Paul here, living just inside of Wales, UK. Originally from Essex, England. In what they like to call real life I'm a high school teacher and writer, who used to be a university lecturer and games designer / producer.

I don't know of too many OB:U players this far west in the UK, but if I put it out there that I'll run games or play in them, then eventually someone is bound to hear my message and come looking for me. Whether I'll still be alive by then...

OB:U presses so many good buttons for me because as well as loving zombies I also love group dynamics in post-apocalyptic settings :-) 

Right now I'm transitioning into 2nd Ed and waiting for either a) next payday b) a surprise cash windfall or c) a pdf version of the 2nd Ed rules, as the shipping to the UK costs almost as much as the game itself.

Tend to stay up late in the GMT/BST timezone, a legacy of too many production conference calls and hangouts with Americans when I was still games industry. So live play on a hangout or Roll20 etc is a possibility.

I've just signed up for the Pandemic Pre-Season so I'm here, in my remote underground cellar west of the River Severn, representing a beacon of hope for anyone who needs it... Auxiliary Unit #23 is our group.

All the best,

Paul
  • olwell86 93940
    Glad to have you in the forums, and stay away from those sheep ;)
  • Welcome Paul Williams and GreenSchmoodle and the rest!

Happy to have you join us at GameHaus! We're happy to have supported such a great event. Looking forward to seeing you around the Forums!

Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

• Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Welcome one and all!  Very cool stories from both of you to be honest.
    -Alex (Red)
    Hey! great to see you on the forums! Gamehaus was easily one of the best sessions I had the pleasure of running.
  • BoloBolo Durham NC (Region IV)
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4
    Greetings all

I'm Daniel Walker, from The Middle of Region IV, down in North Carolina in the US. Wanted to say im a big fan of the new 2nd Ed Outbreak and have enjoyed the new Pandemic play format, right now i've started a game or my family and will be adding friends to the team as we play along, they have a general running plot as the team scattered across the triangle city region fight to meet up and eventually meet up with my NPC who is the team lead. Should be a good time as they are all playing themselves and well we are one of those groups that are considered the semi crazy gun nut preppers.... (ok not that bad but well are seen that way by some folks..)

I look forward to the new content and sharing with the folks here as Team Valkyrie rallys to group up and then works to start a center to grow from.