Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
We have recently reorganized the forums to better accommodate the location of information. If you find any discussions categorized incorrectly please let us know and we will get it sorted out.

Red's Resource Catalog (OU)

Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
edited September 2016 in Community Made Materials Posts: 454
Alright, so I have made a series of different resources for O:U at this point, or updated already existing ones.  So, in the interest of not making new posts all the time when I make new ones, and to keep everything in a nice and easy to access location for the community.  As I have said in other threads, I hope everyone finds some use out of these different little bits and bobs.  All download links will be staying the same, so I will just post in the thread to announce if an item has been updated.  I also have a couple other ideas of some resources I would like to generate up and get released to the community for use, so expect to see the list expand a little over time.

All files can now be found on Google Drive.
-Alex (Red)
Community Manager & Developer

Comments

• Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    edited August 2014 Posts: 454
    New: Stronghold Record Sheet added as a new handy resource available in the catalog.  This one is like more of a player asset, but it can probably be pretty useful for GMs as well for reminders of little things.

Update:
    Scenario Breakdown has been extensively revised.  The layout design is based off a cheat sheet I got from citizenvain, but directly covers just the specific items one would need for a quick overview of the Scenario.  It includes all of the same details that it previously did but presented in a much nicer way.  The description is being updated to properly include credit to citizenvain since the layout really is his doing in this instance, and I have just modified it to fit something else I had previously created to make it more useable and clean looking.  Finally, I have made some modifications to it to account for not duplicating information that will be coming in a new sheet I am working on (as this will become part of a 3 sheet set).
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    New: Mission Breakdown has been added as a compliment to go along with the Scenario Breakdown to help a GM keep track of additional details.  The final part of this set will be the Encounter Breakdown that should be forthcoming soon.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    New: Encounter Breakdown added as a new handy resource
    available in the catalog.  This is the last part of the nice GM Set that cover Scenario, Mission, and Encounters.

Update:
    Scenario Breakdown has been revised.  This has been done to compensate the development of the Encounter Breakdown.

Update:
    Mission Breakdown has been revised.  This has been done to compensate the development of the Encounter Breakdown.

Update:
    Advanced Character Sheet has had a small revision to the Conditions on page 2.

I think my next project is going to be to create a Vehicle Record Sheet for the Player Sheets section.  I have also been considering creating a Pet Record Sheet as well that could probably be beneficial to a number of Players out there.  I also mentioned before that I think I will be retouching the Equipment Cards Sets to make them a little more functional.  I'm also open to suggestions and requests relating to the already created items, as I know I have mentioned before.

Anyways, I am shooting to be about done with most of these projects by 8/17 so that I can have them available for my own campaign.  I don't think the new Equipment Cards Sets will be ready by then, but you never really know.
    -Alex (Red)
    There is a lot of great work being done here Red_Eye!

Especially in the Encounter and Mission Breakdown sheets... GREAT work!
    Developer/Marketing Manager.
    Player Kills = 23
    Zombie Kills = 154

• Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Thanks very much. I do hope folks can find some use out of it. This game is amazing, but with any game pushing for realism there can be a bit of data to manage. If I can mitigate that some, I am about it.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    New: Vehicle Record Sheet has been added to the listing.  This is intended to help players keep track of the vehicles they come into possession of over the course of a campaign and to ensure they do not lose track of all the details they need for the Vehicle System in the game.  It is a single page sheet, and done in the format of the Character Record Sheet.

Update: Character Record Sheet had two new Skills added in, Horseback Riding as a Trained Skill and Train/Handle (Animal) as an Expert Skill.  These were overlooked from Wild Kingdom.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Update (Full Series): All of the Breakdown Series has been updated.  The update was to include more page number references on the sheets to better assist GMs in finding information in a pinch when they are at the table.  Specifically, Scenario Breakdown got a new "Quick Reference" section added to it with 6 handy items thrown in.  Mission Breakdown had the "Quick Reference" section updated with a few things moved over to the Scenario Breakdown to add in more Mission specific References.  Finally, the Encounter Breakdown had the page references added to the "Encounter Type" section for all of the different Living.  The "Basic Formulas" section was modified to remove the basic attack formulas (since these ones I think are fairly easy for most to remember), and added in the Deployment formula and page reference.

Update:  A small update to the Stronghold Record Sheet that allowed me to slip an extra line in for the Description and shove another Upgrade/Enhancement line as well.  I figure most players will appreciate the extra room provided.

--------------

All in all, I think the Breakdown Series is now a pretty snazzy little set of resources.  About 3 pages can put the vast majority of what a GM needs to keep aware of at their fingertips.  I would recommend an additional 4th page by using the official Timetable sheet as well to help you keep track of timing and such a little better as well, but this really trims the game down a bit and should speed it up some for those still learning the ropes without stripping away any of the depth.

Also still kicking around the idea of a Pet Record sheet, but looking over the Domestic Animals in Wild Kingdom I am thinking most pets will not even really require a full sheet to present their data.  I am inclined to think they are more suited to taking up some space in the "Notes" section on page 3 of the Character Record Sheet at this point.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Update: Mission Overview has been updated and relocated to the GM section since it is now much more refined in the design and it matches very well with the Breakdown Series.  It covers all items from O:U, WK, FCF Annuals 1-3 and an item that seems to have missed the Annuals.  I think my next task with this will be listing some options that come in O:DS to the pack, at least ones that will lend themselves well to the O:U setting.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Update (Full Series): The Breakdown Series has been updated once again.  This round was adding in some more page reference numbers for ease of tracking down information on the fly when you need it.  I hacked off the 'Basic Formulas' section on the Encounter Breakdown in favor of providing a little 'Quick Reference' section instead.  This provides quick access to far more information that a GM may randomly need.

Update: Character Record Sheet has been updated.  In my string of jotting down page numbers for quick access to information, I decided the same might be nice for players as well.  This mostly happened in the 'Condition' section on page 2.  Speaking of page 2, it now has a brand new graphic for tracking damage on characters.  It has removed the details about Bite Location (this is now noted in the Breakdown lists for access that way), and proposes ways of noting all injures a character takes (Open Wound, Staunched Open Wound, Infected Wound, Internal Injury, Bone Injury, Minor/Moderate Flesh Wounds, and Minor/Moderate Impact Wounds.  The coroner picture is also a little more detailed than the previous one, but hopefully not intrusively so (more for easy of placing wounds more accurately).  Now your players can know where they have bruises and scratches, and not just the severe things.  I don't do graphic design, so be nice about my ability to get that image done.

------------

This update will likely conclude my updates for a little while now.  I will be settling in and using these resources in my own game, and seeing where areas of improvement can be made from use.  I would expect the next update to come for the Equipment Card Sets as I work on refining those into a more manageable at the table type of resource as opposed to updates to the other items or any new items.  In turn, this update is likely still a ways off yet as those things will take some time to work out the way I envision them currently.

All that said, I am still open to suggestions and recommendations from other players and GMs of the system out there.  These are basically coming from a single perspective of the game at this point, with some influence from the credited community members in the description of the items.

Anyways, after two rough and rocky failed starts at the game due to my over ambition to just get in and get started before I was really ready, I am eager to see if these assets can help me get myself a handle on a nice smooth start-up this weekend.  Give me a chance to really test out all of these items in practice.

And now, I bid you all a very good night, I need to get myself some more rest and keep healing from this back injury.  I will say that prescription drugs, some time off work, and inability to move much has certainly lended itself to getting a fair bit of work done on these, but I am ready to be well.  Hopefully one more day of downtime and back to normal again.
    -Alex (Red)
    Slacker!
    Zombie Kills = 19
    Player Kills = 14

imageimageimage
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    I know right, I should be ashamed of myself.  Maybe I should take another lap?
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Ok, I lied, because I noticed an error on my part while setting up my campaign with these:

Update: The Scenario Breakdown has been updated to more accurately reflect the calculation for the E%.  I had it listed as 15 per Sense, but that is not correct, it is 5 * PER Lvl. per Sense.  So, yes, updated that if anyone needs the update before the print off.

Update: ZOMBV, I made a small update to better reflect the Lifecycle of the virus.  I also added a section where I provide suggestion on how to build a Standard Zombie for the virus, and also recommend Template and Unique Zombies to use with it as well that fit the context of the virus.  I hope this has the added benefit of making people that choose to use the virus have a more consistent experience with it for that "single world" idea.  I may add another update once I decide on the true original vector and spread pattern of the virus as well, so people can opt to have that be consistent as well.  I have already started running basic testing on how I want that to work so another update may come on this one soon for those interested in it.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    So, who has been a big fat liar - this guy! :)

Anyways, I have some more updates here:

Update: The Mission Overview has been updated because apparently I forgot to include a slew of Stronghold Upgrade Missions on the list from FCF2.  Well, those are properly listed with the rest now.

Update (Full Series): The Breakdown Series has been updated once more, and it was to include some additional references for the GMC, WK, and FCF 1-3.  I think that should really finish fleshing those out barring any suggestions from the community to try and enhance it further (which I would assume would likely come in adjustments to the Quick Reference sections potentially).  Some of the items that have been included are more for new Players/GMs as well to help them keep their legs about them once they decide to dive on in.

Update: Character Record Sheet was updated to include the premise of Weight for items presented in Outbreak: Deep Space, so a WG are has been added to most gear slots to go along with CU for those who wish to incorporate this update.

--------------

I am still working my way through Deep Space, so I might find myself inclined to point to that resource as well on some of the sheets in time.  I may also end up holding out until Second Edition rolls out before I make anymore significant adjustments to any of these items.  So, potentially some more updates down the road, and the request lines are open.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Well, as I said, as I peruse through O: DS I will likely find details I feel can be easily incorporated into the Core game, and I have been finding some (the update to the Character Record Sheet from the last post obviously shows that was coming).  Well, here is the next one:

Update: The Mission Overview has now had the inclusion of a couple more General Missions courtesy of O: DS.  Was not a ton of them, but a few of them felt as though they could be ported over with just a little effort on the part of a GM (if any real effort is needed for some of them).  This obviously just gives us a few more situations that are predefined on their mechanics as our players organically deal with the Outbreak unfolding around them.

----------------

Another item I have been finding particularly groovy in O: DS is the idea of location based E% Modifiers.  The way these are presented in O: DS seems as though that with only moderate tweaking and incorporation with preexisting content we can get something very similar worked up.  I am specifically thinking of working up some proposed modifier details for the assorted Generic Resource Catalogs that have been officially released over time through the FCF stuff.  The would then provide something akin to a series of sheets that provide the following:

Location Type (Hospital, House/Apartment, Electronics Store, etc)
    Modifications to E% (would be used as Chris has described for the E% made upon entering the location)
    Recommended Hazard Options (with page references for quick access, using Risk Buy System)
    Special Feature Options (suggestions for prebuilt facilities and the sort, optional special rules to apply)
    Resource Catalog (like the ones officially provided, likely a listing for OL 1-4 for each)

I think this would allow for GMs to more quickly mix in a little spice to their campaigns/adventures/simulations by expanding the options available.  Essentially we would then have a layered E% system, with the 'Region Table' presented in Wild Kingdom being used for overland travel/general application in the Wilderness, a 'Basic Table' for overland travel/general application in Urban settings, a 'Vehicle Modifier Table' presented in the Core Book, and then these 'Location Modifier Tables' that could be used in assorted locations.

I am thinking I will probably be working on these along side working on updating the Equipment Card Sets (since many of these items will need to be distributed into the Resource Catalogs of the various Location Modifiers.  Once I get those two supplements created/updated, I think that may conclude my resource contribution for the system barring updates for new materials coming out that I pick up over time.  As they would stand, the presented resources would then cover just about every detail a player may need/want to track, all the details a GM quickly needs on hand, and a bonus detailed Virus that can be used as a backdrop in a Scenario.  All in all, that would mean a fresh troupe could in theory purchase the products that they want to use, download these resources, and in a matter of some quick note taking and character generation get started on running through a full Campaign/Simulation. 

Other than those last two major resources being finished up, I will be putting that theory to the test starting this Sunday.  I have had a couple failed attempts with my troupe to get started up on this game, mainly due to my eagerness to get started with it before being comfortable enough with the rules/having enough handy tools available to properly get things rolling.  I'll likely start up another thread where I discuss how that Simulation goes along, maybe include a few pictures in some posts of our play area and sessions, possibly even audio record a session or two to get a couple more live play examples posted up (if my troupe is comfortable with that idea).  If I do happen to record a few play sessions and post them I will probably toss links to those in here as well under the Generic Resources section for ease of access to those who don't care to read the other thread.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Well, I mentioned I would probably update the ZOMBV Document a little bit for folks, and I have now done just that. 

Update: The ZOMBV document now details how the Outbreak is envisioned to actually spread to some degree.  It still clearly leaves a lot of specifics open to the GM to decide, and the focus is more on the response that happens in the United States as opposed to other places in the world (though they are briefly detailed to some degree).  Overall, it gives a pretty clear representation of how the Scenario is best played out, and might help out with the timing of some events a little bit for a few GMs out there.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Ok, so ironically enough, this time around the update to the documents here are coming from my wonderful wife who decided to touch up some of the graphical aspects for me:

Update: Character Record Sheet has had the graphic modified to be even more printer friendly than before, and much more uniform than my poor attempt at getting it made up.  I think this was a fantastic improvement, so much love to the wife for taking it upon herself to do.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Update:  Added a link off to my thread for a Play Example in the Generic Resources section.  I sincerely hope that the thread can become a handy little spot for new players to get an extra grip on the system, and strongly encourage comments and discussion in the thread as we go along (the Play Example posts will always get linked up in the OP so will still be easy to track down).

This update marks me hitting the character limit for the OP in this thread, but I think I am pretty spent on Resources at this point until I get the Equipment Card Sets updated (and I may take a new approach with those to consolidate it down to a single multiple page PDF file so that would clear up some of that problem anyways if I make more stuff).  Requests for updates to existing resources are also still welcome.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    I am working on a new project that I had mentioned in here previously (and also taking a new stab at the Equipment Cards at the same time) in the Dynamic Location Generation cheat system.  To get an idea of if this is something the community might be interested in, I have been fleshing out some locations based on the concept I am thinking of (Abandoned Civilian Vehicle and Airport being the most complete in the Sample) and kicked up a sample PDF to show the general idea.

I would like to get some suggestions and comments on this particular resource before I get going too far on it to make sure it can be as handy as possible.  I would also like to gather up suggestions from the community on locations they would like to see covered in this kind of format.

Anyways, here is a link to that sample:
    http://www.otherfamily.net/webmaster/red/outbreak/Locations Sample.pdf

Edit: So it is clear, I will be detailing out hopefully just over 100 different locations in this manner.  This should allow GMs in most situation to be able to quickly and faithfully represent different types of locations to their troupes multiple times over without them having to get immediately stale or take too much additional work on the part of the GM to churn them out.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Well, I have been doing some more work on the Location Templates resource here, and I am holding on the formatted development for a moment to compile what will be my work list.  Once I have this fully generated with the Locations that I would like to make Templates for I intend to kick that up here as well for folks to look at and provide suggestions of locations to potentially remove or add to the listing.

As it stands, my list currently consists of 103 locations that I would like to try and template in a fashion like this.  I still have a ways to go on this list too, so my initial assumption that it would contain somewhere around 100 is likely going to be a bit low.  Due to the sheet volume of this project I suspect this one is going to take me awhile to get completed, but my hope is that it will be an almost invaluable resource for running this game and creating unique and interesting locations for your troupe on the fly.

Another thing I am considering with this project is I may opt to not include the "Unique Builds" section of the Locations.  Out of all the different aspects of this project so far, I cannot deny that this section tends to take me the most time to setup.  Considering the volume of locations I am intending on generating that section may well get the axe.  That was really just going to be a bonus section anyways, and the resource should be able to stand on its own without it being included in the final document. 

Expect the Location Listing to be posted for view later on today.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Ok, so after a little more work, I have my listing and the Sample is still available to see how I am intending to approach the Templating of these locations.  For ease of access, I will repost the link to the Sample and also the link to the Listing:

Listing: http://www.otherfamily.net/webmaster/red/outbreak/Location Listing.pdf
    Sample:
    http://www.otherfamily.net/webmaster/red/outbreak/Locations Sample.pdf
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Update: Character Record Sheet was updated, specifically on page 2 I had a typo in one of the lower armor boxes (listed as Hand Armor when it should have been Leg Armor).  Anyways, it is correct now for anyone who grabbed it before.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Project Status: As an update on the Location Template project, I have decided in the interest of getting some of the details out sooner, I will be breaking the release into smaller sets as opposed to a single large supplement.  I will also potentially be adding in more locations to be generated to what the current listing shows.  Here is the plan:

I am getting myself to a point where I feel I have a very solid list of locations.  Presently the listing has 250 Locations on it (my updated one).  Then, I will be setting a priority to each particular Location on the listing in groupings of 50.  Doing it this way will allow me to release 5 total sets of Location Templates, and I can try and get them released in a manner where the most commonly used ones will be out first and the more obscure or specific stuff will be released later down the road.  Once I have all of the content cobbled together I will consider combining the Sets into a complete Location Template Supplement in a single document.  The Locations for Set 1 will be:
    • Abandoned Civilian Vehicle
    • Abandoned Emergency Vehicle
    • Abandoned Military Vehicle
    • Airport
    • Amusement Park
    • Antique Shop
    • Apartment
    • Arts and Crafts Store
    • Auto Parts Store
    • Automotive Dealership
    • Automotive Oil Change Center
    • Bakery
    • Bar
    • Bicycle Shop
    • Book Store
    • Brickyard
    • Bus Station
    • Car Rental Agency
    • Church
    • Clothing Store
    • Community Hospital
    • Dentist Office
    • Department Store
    • Doctor’s Office
    • Dollar Store
    • Electronics Store
    • Farmstead
    • Firearms Dealer
    • Food Pantry
    • Garage and Auto Body Shop
    • Gas Station
    • Greenhouse
    • Grocery Store
    • Hardware and Building Supply Store
    • Hardware Store
    • Home & Garden Store
    • Junk Yard
    • Liquor Store
    • Lumber Yard
    • Machining & Weld Shop
    • Military Surplus Store
    • Motorcycle Shop
    • Pet Store
    • Pharmacy
    • Police Station
    • Residential Home
    • Tool Store
    • Trash Dump
    • Veterinarian
    • Wealthy Mansion
    Project Status: The Equipment Card Set project has come to somewhat of a halt at the moment.  I am still deciding on the best approach for tackling this project as it is one of the more complex projects to potentially undertake for this system.  I still essentially feel there is a major set of deficiencies in the cards as they currently are.  First, there are so many of them that the concept of printing them off and handing them out as Player Characters locate said equipment is simply not a realistic approach for them.  Second, many items were generated to completely on the listing which nullifies one of the great systems in the game with the differing Materials items can be made from.  Third, rulings on many of the items are done inconsistently on the cards (though many efforts were made on this front over the course of the project already), so they can potentially be a little confusing at times.

I think as it stands I may just let this one sit on the back burner for a little while, give myself some more time to chew of the best way to approach this asset.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Well, I cleaned up the first post a little bit here and that is because I had something new I worked on tonight while dealing with insomnia (and I moved ZOMBV to the "Specialist: GM" section since it is now kind of a Campaign Primer).

New: I have included a Hazard Overview in the "Specialist: GM" section of the downloads.  This document details where a GM can find different Hazard options that they can spend their accumulated Risk on.  I think I may have missed a few of these, but it is fashioned in a format similar to the Mission Overview as well.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Update: I went ahead and updated the ZOMBV details again.  I wanted to give my players a little visual to go along with the session, so I added in a Player Section to that document that has a visual showing the spread of the Outbreak.  I also gave the document a slightly more official cover page as well.  At this point, I would say this can serve as a pretty good model of a Freezone campaign setup.
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    New: I have made a second version of the Character Record Sheet.  This new one is much more inline with the changes coming for Second Edition (and already presented in O:DS).  I am linking both as some may prefer the older format compared to the newer one.  At this current time I am unable to edit the OP (growing pains from the update to the site), so here is the link for the new version for now:

http://www.otherfamily.net/webmaster/red/outbreak/New Character Sheet v3.pdf
    -Alex (Red)
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Update: A little touch up to the V3 Character Record Sheet that my troupe should be using as of today.
    -Alex (Red)
    That's really cool. All of it, really. May I ask what program you use to generate these? Do you use the creative suite or have you just whipped excel or something like that into shape?
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    These were mostly made in Word, though I also used Excel on a couple of things.  I could have done something a bit more elaborate if I had been using something like CS.  Been away from O:U for a bit here, dealing with some personal stuff and presently fiddling about with another system too (I bounce about between a few fairly often).  Been somewhat waiting for 2nd Ed. to roll out for this, but have been starting to look some thing over again.

Glad you liked the assorted resources.  Hope some folks have found them useful for their own campaigns.
    -Alex (Red)

Good lord this had to take amazing time and patience.  Well done!  I'm starting my group on a short OU campaign this weekend, and these resources are being stolen shamelessly.  I really appreciate all the work you did. 

This will be my players first foray into anything but D&D..  I've been trying to get them to branch out to other games for over a year now..  It's finally "my turn" to run a game..  They're in for a surprise!

• Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Very cool to hear, and I hope the resources work out well for you - the point of them in most instances is to try and pull some of the burden off the task of being the GM.  Many of them could probably stand to have some more work and love put into them, the item cards most of all (though I will say using them as cards in practice is probably a bad idea, I tried it and it didn't pan out so well), but they make for a decent quick reference on some of the items in the game.  I never did really get those all to a finalized point that I was happy with though, and I would give some serious thought and consideration to some of the item details and adjust them as you need on the go to help make them more realistic to real world counterparts.

Other than that, since I am not actively working on these presently, if anyone wants to continue with these resources and such all they need to do is get in contact with me.  I would be happy to hook you up with any of the raw files for the resources and would even be willing to continue hosting any updates or additions that anyone wants to make.  I can even keep updating the thread OP to add in new links and such, since having a single location to jump to for all the needed assets is a great thing in my opinion so I would hate for that to fizzle out.
    -Alex (Red)