Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
We have recently reorganized the forums to better accommodate the location of information. If you find any discussions categorized incorrectly please let us know and we will get it sorted out.

Skill Checks

edited January 2016 in Outbreak: Deep Space Posts: 6
Regarding Outbreak Deep Space

Can someone explain the skill breakdowns for determining the total?  I understand the first column is the base spew attribute.  What is the WB/SB/EB/WB.  I understand they probably stand for a bonus to the base skill but how do you determine what the bonus is?  The only reference to that I see is with the deck of cards spew attribute assigning thing.

What is the Skill bonus for the skills?  Seems kind of weird to have a skill bonus to your skill?  Where do those come from?

• citizenvaincitizenvain Indianapolis
    edited January 2016 Posts: 188
    The Sb/Pb/Eb/Wb are the tens digit of the SPEW score. So lets say you have a STR 25 and a WILL 30, your Endurance {End%} skill check = 28  (STR + Wb or 25 + 3).

Everytime you see a reference to Sb/Pb/Eb/Wb you will know that means the tens digit of the SPEW score.

The card route you're referencing (I believe) from pg. 18 is using a deck of cards to assign additional bonus to increase the skill check. This is  quick way to build a character with more desirable skill checks and not having to take time to pick abilities. You would put this value in the third column 'SKILL'. Then add all three columns together to get your total SC% for that skill.

A survivor and GM in Indianapolis, IN. 
  • Great thanks,

So if you are not using the card method what bonus goes in the skill slot on the sheet?
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    In addition, for your own reference, the details on the SPEW and Bonuses (Sb/Pb/Eb/Wb) is on page 16 of the O:DS core book, in the subsection of "Core SPEW-AI Attributes" in paragraph 2 and 3 of that subsection.

As for the Skill box, it is just an easy way to approach the equation.  So, a Skill is based on the Primary Attribute, Secondary Attribute Bonus, and any personal Skill you have with that as well (or any training beyond natural aptitude which is represented by the Primary Attribute and Secondary Attribute Bonus).

The reason for splitting them up is simple, sometimes you will have checks or situations that discount the Secondary Attribute Bonus on a check, a GM may rule that your personal Skill doesn't grant any benefit on a check, etc.  In this way a play can quickly drop out one of the listed parts that make up the total Skill Check on the fly as needed.

Hope that clears some things up for you.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager & Developer
  • Thank you for the page reference.  I wish the book had an example, from start to finish, of character generation so you wouldn't have to track down things like this.  I love the setting, just finding the rules a bit clunky.
  • citizenvaincitizenvain Indianapolis
    edited January 2016 Posts: 188
    "I love the setting, just finding the rules a bit clunky."

I think that is a very valid complaint. The book is lacking in examples as far as character creation. As far as the rules being clunky, true, but they are done in such a way that you can easily kick to the side things you do not understand or do not want to use. I do that! Granted, I run for people who do not want to open the book and when I run at cons, I typically run for tables where most have never heard of the game but I have had tables (especially) Gen Con, where everyone at the table had a deep space book and had the same observations you have made.

They don't seem to mind that I leave out Speed and change things to suit my GM style, and everyone has a great time even while their template characters are being ripped to shreds in a gruesome demise.

Yes it is a lot of work for me as the GM. I have to change the benefits of different abilities since I do not use speed or labor. I use a totally different system for depletion than what is defined in the book (but something which I think works faster and is easier for the players to grasp). I fudge "kits" and will make things the way I want and such as long as it makes sense instead of stressing over how I spend tech upgrades, etc. Just take what works for you and interests you. I'm sure there are people much smarter than me that run the system with all the mechanics intact.

Every now and then I do skype sessions and I do have scenarios I have written that I can send out. I also have GM tables I made for oponents that automatically calculate their stats, depletion tables so I know when someone needs to roll for depletion, and a "cheat" sheet about the rules I hand out at my con table for players. Even with the cheet sheet being based on my custom character sheet you may find it useful for your tables and can edit it to match the way you use depletion.

A survivor and GM in Indianapolis, IN. 
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    What @citizenvain states above is very true - while the system has a lot of what I affectionately refer to as 'crunch,' it is designed in such a way that you can easily drop, modify, or add new rules that work better for you.  I have played in various games of Outbreak at this point, and most GMs seem to have their own way of approaching things.  This tends to work out just fine and still results in a very fun game.  Try not to be too afraid to try this out yourself and see what works out best for you and what your troupe wants out of the experience.

The feedback on character generation is a good one, and I will certainly bring it up to Chris (though he will likely see this thread himself).
    -Alex (Red)
  • I hate to say this, but How can we know what to drop out, if we do not understand how to make a character according to the rules in the first place?

I am loathe to have bought the book, only to have spent $17.00 to use the Risk system, nothing else, and run the game via Traveller or Alternity, or Cypher System.

I am a narrative style GM, used to running simulationist sci fi horror at a super gritty level, I have run games for 40 years.  Level based, skill based, percentile, d20 and narrative tag based...But I am having a hell of a time figuring out how to make a character for Outbreak: Deep Space.

I want to do a bunch of pre-generated characters to run this via roll20, and All I can come up with is Paradigms.. so okay, players have been waiting a week to see what their Pilot or Point paradigm person can do, and I have no clear answer, after reading this for a week.

I want this to work, but it is so confusing, it is a real problem.
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Hey Pardalis66, please see my response in the Character Creation thread.
    -Alex (Red)
  • I have. it is helping greatly. and thanks. My players on roll20 are saying "Yay" that there is support from the Company.

I have resorted to using Traveller character generation of careers, then with a full Traveller character, translating that over as best I can, even though the two systems are radically different stats and approaches, for 13 characters for the crew of the fictional ship, 6 players plus spares as NPCs promoted to PC status for (if and)  when those die off.

Not entirely successful yet.  Still working like mad.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 18
    Checks With More Than 100% Chance of Success, in Outbreak: Deep Space

Page: 9
    ...a percentile system, which means the chance of success ranges typically from 100% (automatic success) to 1% (virtually no chance of success).

This is determined by the rolling of ‘percentile dice’... chance of success is determined by the character’s skill and the quality of their equipment, or in the case of Gamemasters, the perceptiveness and ability of the character’s opponents.

To succeed, the d% must be roll equal to or under the the set percentage chance.

Page 10:
    Example: If the target percentage chance is to roll is equal to or under 55, then a result of 45 or less would be
    1 DoS because it is ten lower than the required percentage chance. A result of 35 or lower would be 2 DoS and so on. Conversely, a result of 65 or more would be 1 DoF because it’s a full ten higher than the required percentage chance, a result of 75 would be 2 DoF and so on.

Contrasted with (and can't wrap my head around why this is):
    Page 11
    Checks With More Than 100% Chance of Success
    It’s entirely possible that a character may be able to get over a 100% chance of success when using kits with enough Multipliers and with enough innate ability.

If any check has over a 100% chance of success, a character does not automatically pass.

A character must still make a skill check without any bonuses provided by gear or Abilities. Once this check is made, a character has one of three options:
    1. Accept the result of the check.
    (Fair enough, and as expected)

2. Ignore the result of the check and instead count it as successful by 1 DoS per full 10 over 100% in the
    percentage chance, but spend 1 extra SP by doing so.
    (Seems to me, this defaults to not even rolling the dice, pay the Survival Point.)

3. Allow a re-roll with a percentage chance equal to (the full check’s percentage chance - 100), but
    spend an extra SP by doing so.
    (Why not default to subchoice 2?)

If so... This whole section of the rules...Why is there Kit as multipliers to innate skill? is this to stop a character with 4% Astrogation from plotting a course with a supercomputer that does 100% of the check?

Multiple reviews and threads I have seen around discuss this.

Is it also true if the skill check is 98% with Kit modifiers, we roll at 98% or less, and calculate DoS from there?

Why not just use roll to determine DoS, subtracted from needed Check roll over 100% / 10 for DoS?

Trying to understand the thought process behind this rule. 
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Choices, consequences, and tactics.

You want them to make the check because, even though they will pass it, we use Degrees of Success for determining outcomes so we need to see how well the succeed.  Due to how that works, the roll may net less DoS than the other options, but the other options do have a cost to them.  So it is about tactics, consequences, and choices.  Hope that makes it a bit more clear.
    -Alex (Red)