Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
We have recently reorganized the forums to better accommodate the location of information. If you find any discussions categorized incorrectly please let us know and we will get it sorted out.

Fallout (Yep! The Post-Apocalyptic Game!)

I was wondering, am I the only one who had the Idea of using Outbreak as a system? I actually have Outbreak: Deep Space 2nd edition and I'm doing a solo game with a friend based on the Fallout universe. (Solo game like.. with only one player). I think the system could be easily tweak to match the Fallout genre but even with the basic SPEW, it still works! So, what do you think about this?

PS: I wrote it here because.. I didn't know WHERE to post it xD

Comments

• Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Yea, this seems like the best spot for this topic.

That is actually one of the things that I love about the SPEW system, it can be readily applied to a number of different scenario styles.  While in my own experience with Fallout at the table was with the actual fan made Fallout RPG system you can find online (and maintains the use of SPECIAL), I don't see why you couldn't use SPEW to accomplish much the same thing.  Heck, some of the fan made spin offs of the Fallout RPG step away from SPECIAL as well.

It would take a bit of creating you own beasties, but even on that level you could probably pretty easily adapt certain templates over to fit the bill with a bit a minor modification.  All in all, though, I think it is a pretty solid idea.  A couple other folks have mentioned other similar ideas with other videogame lines, I think a Metroid one was brought up most recently using Deep Space as a basis.

I'd be interested in hearing about how this pans out for you, if your inclined to make some additional posts about it as you go along.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager & Developer
  • I made somekind of prelude plays for now because I wanted to explain the Outbreak system to my friend, so I haven't a lot of material ready at that moment. 

I Started working on some Chems and I'm thinking about a Archetype "model" of Chassis for the Power armor, I haven't worked on Creature yet as my games mostly concern Humans for the moment. I'll give some additionnal info soon.
  • After working a little bit on the system/universe, I'll tweek the system a little bit. If you take a look at the "Abilities", lots of them feels like Perks, in Fallout 1,2,3 and New Vegas, you earn Perks at each level. With Outbreak, you can't really represent it exactly like this, so, I tried something, for the moment, it seems okay I'll ajust if needed. So, there what I'll try:

At character creation, the player could Pick 3 "Tag Skill". These skills count as beeing supported. The player can still Support Skills with the ability Token generated by the SPEW bonus."Outbreak level" is not really used for the moment and the Gestalt level start at 0. The rest of the creation is still the same.

For the Advancement, as my player didn't got lots of Survival point yet, I'll try this:
    At each 100 SP, the player gain a Gestalt dice. This Gestalt Dice can be use to advance in a skill OR in ONE SPEW ability at the rate of 1D6 (No reroll if a ! is rolled). At each 1000 SP, the player can Buy one Ability at Tier One OR increase one of their Ability by One Tier and the Gestalt level is increased by One (So, Gestalt level is more like the Level of the Character).

I know it could seem "Abusive" but, Hey, it's Fallout!

For the Chems, I'm actually thinking about the effect and the addiction. I could use a Willpower check to avoid to get addicted to a Chems (Not all Chems are addictive), Some Chems would have a Starting difficulty to resist and each subsequent Doses increase the Difficulty. If addicted, the character gain one Tier of the Addiction Disavantage. Each Chems would have some withdrawal penalties. I thought quickly about that and I had some Idea going like this:

Jet: Diff 0 +1/extra dose
    -5 moments per action (Min 1) for 1D5! round
    withdrawal: -10 STR, -5 Will +3 Moments per action for 1D5! Time

Bouffout: Diff 0 +1/extra dose
    +20 STR, +5 Melee Damage for 1D5! Time
    Withdrawal: -10 STR, -5 Melee Damage (min 1) for 2D5! Time

Mentats: Diff 0 +1/extra dose
    +10 to all Diplomacy skill check for 1D5! time
    Withdrawal: -5 to all Diplomacy Skill Check for (2D5! - Strenght Bonus) Time

I might need to ajust these, I'll wrote it down when I'll test it.
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    This sounds like it could be a fun little Scenario/Campaign.  I really look forward to seeing where you end up going with this.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager & Developer
  • I Couldn't test it yet, but I will soon. I'll think about something for Power Armor and Settlement/Group