Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
We have recently reorganized the forums to better accommodate the location of information. If you find any discussions categorized incorrectly please let us know and we will get it sorted out.

Depletion Dice

I'm having some trouble understanding how the depletion dice works. I know you roll to determine if the equipment is broken or no longer usable but I can't get what the numbers are. It keeps bringing up capacity but there's nothing in the book that talks about what capacity is or how to determine what the equipment capacity is. Durability is brought up as well which I assume is how many times you fail the depletion dice roll before you need to get it fixed.

Comments

• Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Hey slapstick, welcome to the forums.  If you take a look at the specific bits of Gear in the book (the individual items start on Page 100) you will notice that some entries contain a Durability or Capacity entry.  That is what you are looking for.  If the item does not have a Durability listed it is not able to be broken, and if no capacity is listed it cannot be exhausted or depleted (thus no need to roll those dice when using that item).
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager
  • OK cool.

Now what determines what I need to roll? For example, the bat has a durability of 1. When I roll a depletion dice what determines what number I need to roll? Also, how do depletion points work exactly, and are the aquired from rolling a depletion dice?

Sorry if this sounds really obvious.
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Not to worry.  The details you are looking for are a part of the "Gear Universal Special Rules" covered on page 88 of the pocket book.

Depletion Points are accumulated each time the Gear in question is used, and the number of Depletion Points determines how many Depletion Dice you would need to roll.  If the result of the roll is less than the Capacity of the Gear then it still has uses remaining, if the roll exceeds the Capacity it is exhausted.

Durability is used in instanced where Gear can be broken or rendered unusable.  It is typically lost when the special face (or 6) is rolled on Damage, Difficulty, or Depletion Dice when that Gear is used.  As an example, some Damage Types will result in worn Gear of the target being damaged.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager
  • edited January 26 Posts: 5
    OK I think I got it.

So I have a .22 pistol with a capacity of 12. I rolled 2 degrees of success. I use one for accurate hit and another for focus fire. I gain 1 depletion point for the accurate hit and 3 depletion points for use of focus fire and it's effect of 2 extra depletion points. So I have to roll 4 depletion dice. If the rolls don't add up to the capacity of 12 then the pistol is still usable.

If I use a combat knife it has a durability of 2. If I roll a 6 on a damage roll or on a depletion dice that was given by an enemy then a depletion point is added. When the depletion points add up to the number of the durability then the combat knife is broken until the depletion points are removed.

Did I get that right?
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    You got it with Depletion, though you're a little off on Durability. 

In the instance of the Damage you describe, you would be potentially damaging whatever is worn by the Opponent where the hit lands.  On the flip side, if we had some Difficulty added to your Dice Pool (or Depletion for some reason, though I wouldn't say with a Combat Knife this will be altogether commonplace) you could have some issues with the item Durability.  Since you have a Durability of a 2 on the Combat Knife it would require you have at least 2 special face results on those to drop the Durability down to a 1 (it requires an equal number of special faces as the Gear has in Durability to drop it a point - this could be achieved with a single Dice in a situation where the special face also explodes).  At that point, subsequent Attacks could be made and only need a single special face result to bring it down to a 0 (and effectively broken beyond use).
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager
  • OK. So I have to get the same number of special faces as the durability. So I need 2 special faces before the durability is knocked down to 1 right?

Also, do special faces have to be rolled within the same turn for it to lose a durability, or can it be two special faces within different turns? Like if I rolled a damage dice and it landed on a 6. Then in the next round it rolled a 6 again. Does the durability go down?
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Yep - would take 2 to drop it to 1.  And they need to be in the same turn.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager
  • OK I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up. I might have a few more questions while reading but I'm happy that depletion is more understandable.
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Not a problem, we're always happy to help out.  You'll usually get a response from me before Chris or Ivan solely because I pop in a lot over the course of the day and tend to beat them to things.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager