Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
We have recently reorganized the forums to better accommodate the location of information. If you find any discussions categorized incorrectly please let us know and we will get it sorted out.

The Super Minutiae Level

Page 144.

"Coming across a clean water source will automatically allow a canteen to remove all Depletion points for free, for example."

Are we to understand that we are tracking individual swallows of water?  Adding depletion points to the canteen's total?

In any case, Canteen is not referenced anywhere else in the rule book, verified by Search of text with Acrobat.

Mystified as to why there was not a push toward:
Flashlight, 50 feet radius.
Canteen
Large First aid kit, 3 uses
Small First aid kit, 2 uses.

etc.

What do items cost?  Why are there credits?

It is so non-intuitive, it is like it was made more complicated than it had to be.

Comments

• Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    You track Uses of the canteen, not individual drinks from it really.  So, say a canteen has a Capacity of 5 (small one).  When you use the item to drink you roll Depletion.  Say you rolled a 4.  That is below Capacity so the Canteen still has some water left in it which can be used later, but also gains a Depletion Point (meaning on the next Use the player must roll 2 Depletion Dice which will likely result in a total above 5 which will mean the water is spent).  A use of a Canteen would satisfy water needs for the day (this is Survival Horror, so people need to eat and drink still).

Not a ton of items were pregenerated for ODS so that a GM could use the Tech System to make any range of Gear they like.  You can generally use some "common sense" in order to establish items to populate your world though.  You can also take a look at some of the Gear in OU as there is no reason those items shouldn't be available, there is just probably better more high tech stuff in an ODS world.

Item cost is very subjective and would fluctuate depending on where in the universe you are.  Thus it is something for you the GM to set based on where your characters are and what is of value in that place.  Credits are of course used to buy things once you decide what their pricing will be.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager & Developer
    Thanks for your fast response.

I have decided to scrap running this game, as too complex.
    Good luck.
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Well, in truth it is as complex as you want it to be.  Many people that play the game exclude content they don't need for their games.  If you want a more hack and slash style you could easily drop a lot of the survival based rules and still use the system just fine.  But, being a system designed to simulate fantastic situations we of course account for a ton of details for those interested in being that micromanagement style about their games.

There is no sense stressing over rules you don't need is what I am trying to say here, just use what you need from the mass of information.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager & Developer
    @Pardalis66 very sorry to hear that. But to reiterate what Red_Eye says, we put the rules for things in there in case people want them.

People can, and frequently do bend, ignore or break rules as needed. What we did not wan to happen is that we have something that a GM wants to do and finds that there is no means of doing it.

Red_Eye is right, Depletion always keeps track of "Uses", whether that's ammo or water in a canteen. It's actually a way to shave off micromanaging, since you don't even keep track of bullets in this game.

I hope you reconsider and know we're here for any further questions you may have.
  • citizenvaincitizenvain Indianapolis
    edited April 21 Posts: 188
    I'm late to this thread. I'm one of those people who do frequently bend and ignore rules (I'm quite vocal in ignoring Speed). Descriptors took a while for me to appreciate, but now I really really like them (much more so than Training in OU2ED). 

Yes, I know my name is in the materials, but I'm not an employee and I have openly disagreed with the creator and in private on some mechanics. I'm just a super fan of OU and Deep Space. If you want a realistic sci-fi system this is what you want. I have run several games at cons, I'm running three Deep Space scenarios I've written at Gen Con this year.  I have taken the elements that I love and that I'm comfortable with from the DS book and have provided many hours of fun for players. 

I've even removed and added Skill Checks using the S.P.E.W. stats. This game is great for customization and works wonderfully for an impatient GM like me. Maybe it is the business owner in me that I let a lot slide as far as the content, etc. because I know the company writing this game is small and it is a huge challenge they are undertaking. All I know is I ran a OU campaign for almost a year and have killed many characters on space stations and strange worlds in Deep Space. 

I'm willing to share my custom scenarios, aides, and notes with any aspiring GM. I don't focus on all the survival type checks, I focus on horror elements and carnage. 

Sorry if I am being overly sappy. I was excited to see posts about Deep Space. I love Deep Space. 

Here are some pics from me running "The Thing in the Ice" last month at WYC 2017.

A survivor and GM in Indianapolis, IN. 
    imageimageimage