Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
We have recently reorganized the forums to better accommodate the location of information. If you find any discussions categorized incorrectly please let us know and we will get it sorted out.

Could I please get some confirmation?

edited September 29 in Outbreak: Undead Posts: 3
So I am definitely new to Outbreak: Undead and it looks amazing to me so I bought the rulebook for second edition online as a pdf and I just have a few questions that if someone could answer them I'd really appreciate it.

1) Is there an easier way to remember all of the rules and systems? Like a table or just easy to remember things.
2) How exactly make a character like step by step? because character creation isn't all that clear to me. Also how many survival points do you get at the beginning to the newly created character? How do you acquire more survival points?
3) I never bought the starter kit because I'm short on cash, so what am I to do without the cards with Locations, Disadvantages, Injuries, Equipment, etc... Also do I need the tokens and such for Risk, DoF, and DoS?
4) How do you know which abilities you are trained in and have support in and such?

Comments

• Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Hi, and welcome to the community!  I'd be happy to help you out here:

1) Regarding this, the best advice I can give right now is time and actual play - nothing beats experience when it comes to learning a game system.  The nature of having a pocket book (like the Starter Kit book you got in PDF) is that the information needs to be condensed a lot more than a standard book.  Much of the information presented in the Pocket Book will be expanded in the Core Rule books that are coming to Kickstarter very soon.

2) For making a character it depends on what kind of character you want to play (Outbreak supports 3 different types of characters): Template (Character Card), Fictional (Point Buy), or Play as Yourself (Take the SPEW-AI on our site).  Templates are the quickest way to jump into play as the character is basically made for you on the character card (will require the cards from the Starter Kit - you can purchase those individually on DTRPG if you aren't looking to pickup the whole Starter Kit).  For Point Buy you have 120 Points available to place into your S.P.E.W. Attributes where the Points are spent on a 1:1 basis (1 Point increases an Attribute Rating by 1). Each S.P.E.W. Attribute must have a Rating between 15 and 45.  Otherwise you head to our website and take the SPEW-AI which will give you your Core Stats at the end of it so you can play Yourself as a Character.  Then you calculate your Skills (based on Attributes and Attribute Bonuses) to get their base levels and you select your Traits (which will modify some things).  You don't start with Survival Points unless the GM wants you to, and you gain more by completing Missions in the game.

3) With just the Pocket Book it will be tricky to play without the Cards (it was designed with the Starter Kit in mind), however, you can acquire the Gamemaster's Companion which includes information on Missions, Locations, Biomes, Injuries, etc.  As for Gear there is some included in the Pocket Book already.  The tokens are not something you need, but they are a handy visual and reference at the table.

4) Skills gain Support and such through Traits (specifically Abilities), so you will figure most of that out while working on Traits.

Let me know if you have some more questions.
    -Alex (Red)
    Community Manager & Developer
  • Do you know of any tips or things that beginners always seem to forget?
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    Read over the rules for Speed and Depletion.  These tend to be hangups for first time players as they are unique in how they are done compared to other RPGs.
    -Alex (Red)
  • How do you make a fictional version of you?

How do you calculate Skills because I was trying to make a character and the skill percents were tripping me up
  • Red_EyeRed_Eye Ohio
    You would either use the Point Buy option (less accurate) or take the SPEW-AI test on our site to get your stats.

For Skills, they are calculated based on a Primary Attribute (whole number) + Secondary Attribute Bonus (just the 10s digit, so will normally be between 1-4) + Advances (done by spending Gestalt to increase the Skill).  Each Skill will use a different Primary Attribute and Secondary Attribute Bonus.  The exception to this are the Expert Skills which use two Attribute Bonuses (thus they will be very low without Advances - usually between 4-7).  The Skills start on page 34 of the Pocket Book and each one has the Base % details listed for them.
    -Alex (Red)